Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mississippi John Hurt

I've recently came across the amazing story of Mississippi John Hurt.
Reading this guy's Wikipedia entry, I've literally WTFed every other line; he was quite extraordinary.

To try and sum it all in one paragraph, he was a gifted bluesman and an extraordinary guitar player, who actually invented a new style of guitar-playing back in the 1920s.
After several commercial failures, he abandoned the music career and became a farmer, only to be discovered 30(!) years later in the early 1960s.
After this discovery, he was all the rage for a couple of years, until he died in 1966.

This is one of my favorite songs from this wonderful artist:



Here you can see that he was also a real character:



I think that the simplicity of his voice and the laid back guitar-playing style is a winning combination, making him my current favorite artist*.


* Disclaimer: this may vary daily.

No comments: